Sainte-Chapelle Upper Chapel

Illustration

Hillary Smith
by Oldmanisold
published on 04 December 2020
Send to Google Classroom:

Completed in 1248 CE, Sainte-Chapelle is a Gothic cathedral located on the Île de la Cité in Paris. Part of the medieval Palais de la Cité, King Louis IX (r. 1226-1270 CE) commissioned Sainte-Chapelle to be built to house his Christian relics, including the Crown of Thorns. Lining the nave and apse are 15 ornately decorated stained glass lancet windows, each 15 meters tall, depicting 1,113 scenes from the Old and New Testaments. Though parts of the Sainte-Chapelle have undergone reconstruction, remarkably, two-thirds of the stained glass is original.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Oldmanisold, . (2020, December 04). Sainte-Chapelle Upper Chapel. Ancient History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.ancient.eu/image/13177/

Chicago Style

Oldmanisold, . "Sainte-Chapelle Upper Chapel." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Last modified December 04, 2020. https://www.ancient.eu/image/13177/.

MLA Style

Oldmanisold, . "Sainte-Chapelle Upper Chapel." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Ancient History Encyclopedia, 04 Dec 2020. Web. 18 Jan 2021.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Support Us

We are a non-profit organization.

Our mission is to engage people with cultural heritage and to improve history education worldwide. Please support Ancient History Encyclopedia Foundation. Thank you!

Donate