Fraumunster's Tower in Zurich

Illustration

James Blake Wiener
by
published on 17 December 2018
Fraumunster's Tower in Zurich

Fraumünster Church (“Women’s church” in German) is a former Benedictine abbey situated in the heart of Zürich, Switzerland that was founded in the mid-9th century CE by Louis the German and his daughters, Hildegard and Bertha. Flourishing in the Middle Ages until the Swiss Reformation, Fraumünster had “imperial immediacy,” which gave the abbey a privileged political and constitutional status under imperial feudal law. The abbesses of Fraumünster were thus able to act and rule with tremendous power, independent of everyone except the Holy Roman Emperor himself. Following the Swiss Reformation led by Ulrich Zwingli, the abbey at Fraumünster was dissolved in 1524 CE and its last abbess, Katharina von Zimmern, placed Fraumünster in the control of the city of Zürich.


About the Author

James Blake Wiener
James is a writer and former Professor of History. He holds an MA in World History with a particular interest in cross-cultural exchange and world history. He is a co-founder of Ancient History Encyclopedia and formerly was its Communications Director.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Wiener, J. B. (2018, December 17). Fraumunster's Tower in Zurich. Ancient History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.ancient.eu/image/9739/

Chicago Style

Wiener, James B. "Fraumunster's Tower in Zurich." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Last modified December 17, 2018. https://www.ancient.eu/image/9739/.

MLA Style

Wiener, James B. "Fraumunster's Tower in Zurich." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Ancient History Encyclopedia, 17 Dec 2018. Web. 15 Jun 2019.

Remove Ads

Advertisement