Porphyry sculpture portraying the four Tetrarchs (Diocletian, Maximianus, Galerius and Constantius Chlorus) embracing. It is dated to c. 300 CE and was sculpted in Asia Minor. It probably originally decorated two separate pillars in Constantinople but was plundered by the Venetians in 1204 CE. The sculpture has since been fixed to a corner of the facade of St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice, Italy.
About the Author