This bronze bust is usually attributed to the Ptolemaic king Ptolemy II Philadelphus (r. 283-246 BCE) although alternative identifications of the bust have been made. It was discovered in the Villa of the Papyri, Herculaneum in 1754 CE and is currently part of the collection of Bronzes in the National Archaeological Museum of Naples.
Although the date of the original Hellenistic sculpture is uncertain, the bronze is a 1st Century BCE-1st Century CE Roman copy.
- Carol C. Mattusch and Henry Lie, "Bronze Statues and Heads." In The Villa dei Papiri at Herculaneum : life and afterlife of a sculpture collection (ed. Carol C. Mattusch and Henry Lie). (Los Angeles, Getty Publications, 2005), 264-266.