Chaukhandi Stupa, Sarnath

Illustration

Anindita Basu
by
published on 21 August 2016

The Chaukhandi Stupa was built during the Gupta period (4th and 5th century CE) and is believed to mark the place where the Buddha first met a group of five ascetics (who were later to become his first disciples). Rectangular in shape, with steps leading upwards, it was decorated with sculptures of the Buddha. The octagonal structure right on top is an addition by a minister's son during the Mughal period, in 1588 CE. Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, India, 5th century CE.



About the Author

Anindita Basu
Anindita is a technical writer and editor. Her off-work interests include Indology, data visualisation, and etymology.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Remove Ads

Advertisement