Ceremonial Hall 611, Tel Kabri

Illustration

Henry Curtis Pelgrift
by
published on 12 November 2015

The ceremonial hall at Tel Kabri as it appeared in 2015 CE. The hall was constructed c. 1720 BCE as part of the second phase of Tel Kabri's Middle Bronze Age Canaanite palace. It is believed to have served as the focal point of the palace all the way up to c. 1550 BCE when the site was abandoned for unknown reasons.

The hall was uncovered by Aharon Kempinski during his 1986–1993 CE excavations at Tel Kabri which resulted in the discovery of the hall's Minoan-style painted plaster floor. The floor was covered over with gravel and a material called geo-textile to protect the Minoan-style decoration. As a result of Kempinski's untimely death and the gap between exacavations, the geo-textile has become chemically-bonded to the plaster floor and cannot be removed with current technology.



About the Author

Henry Curtis Pelgrift
Henry Curtis Pelgrift is an archaeologist with 13 excavations over seven seasons under his belt and has worked at the British Museum and Met. He is currently doing a PhD in Archaeology and has an MA in Mediterranean Archaeology and a BA in Archaeology.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Remove Ads

Advertisement