Qumram Caves

Illustration

Dana Murray
by
published on 30 June 2015
Qumram Caves

Qumran was mainly occupied during the Greco-Roman period (c. 150 BCE-68 CE) by a community generally identified as the Essenes, a religious sect, which lived in isolation in this region west of the Dead Sea. The cave and a series of scrolls were discovered in 1947 CE by a Palestinian shepherd called Mohammad al-Theeb, gaining the site international attention. The scrolls would become known as the "Dead Sea Scrolls," and the cave was excavated in 1949 CE by a joint expedition from the Jordan Department of Antiquities, the Palestinian Archaeological Museum and the ├ęcole Biblique Francaise.


About the Author

Dana Murray
Researcher with interest in the art, architecture and religion of ancient Greece and the Near East.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Murray, D. (2015, June 30). Qumram Caves. Ancient History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.ancient.eu/image/3981/

Chicago Style

Murray, Dana. "Qumram Caves." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Last modified June 30, 2015. https://www.ancient.eu/image/3981/.

MLA Style

Murray, Dana. "Qumram Caves." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Ancient History Encyclopedia, 30 Jun 2015. Web. 14 Nov 2019.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Support Us

We are a non-profit organization.

Our mission is to engage people with cultural heritage and to improve history education worldwide. Please support Ancient History Encyclopedia Foundation. Thank you!

Donate