Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona

Illustration

Wanda Marcussen
by HSwaff
published on 17 February 2020
Send to Google Classroom:
Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona

The obelisk was ordered to be constructed by Emperor Domitian (r. 81 - 96 CE). It was sculpted in Egypt and transported to Rome where it originally adorned the temple of Isis and Serapis. It now stands in Piazza Navona and is part of Gian Lorenzo Bernini's (1598 – 1680 CE) Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of Four Rivers).

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

HSwaff, . (2020, February 17). Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona. Ancient History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.ancient.eu/image/11926/

Chicago Style

HSwaff, . "Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Last modified February 17, 2020. https://www.ancient.eu/image/11926/.

MLA Style

HSwaff, . "Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Ancient History Encyclopedia, 17 Feb 2020. Web. 14 Aug 2020.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Support Us

We are a non-profit organization.

Our mission is to engage people with cultural heritage and to improve history education worldwide. Please support Ancient History Encyclopedia Foundation. Thank you!

Donate