Baths of Caracalla

Illustration

Mark Cartwright
by
published on 01 May 2013
Baths of Caracalla

The Roman baths complex in the south of Rome known as the Baths of Caracalla were probably commissioned by Septimius Severus but were opened by his son Caracalla in 216 CE and finished c. 235 CE. They are one of the best preserved bath complexes from antiquity and could accommodate as many as 8,000 bathers. The building was some 30 metres high and covered an area of 337 x 328 m.


About the Author

Mark Cartwright
Mark is a history writer based in Italy. His special interests include pottery, architecture, world mythology and discovering the ideas that all civilizations share in common. He holds an MA in Political Philosophy and is the Publishing Director at AHE.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Cartwright, M. (2013, May 01). Baths of Caracalla. Ancient History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.ancient.eu/image/1170/

Chicago Style

Cartwright, Mark. "Baths of Caracalla." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Last modified May 01, 2013. https://www.ancient.eu/image/1170/.

MLA Style

Cartwright, Mark. "Baths of Caracalla." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Ancient History Encyclopedia, 01 May 2013. Web. 15 Jul 2019.

Remove Ads

Advertisement