The origin of pictographic & ideographic writing systems are imagined in the first part of this story (proto-writing). The rebus principle is introduced, setting the stage for the development of an alphabet. Featuring some key artifacts from France, Spain, Egypt & Ancient Sumer: Cave Drawings, Narmer Palette, Hunters Palette, Cuneiform Accounting Tablets.
- The Alphabetic Labyrinth (Drucker)
- Letter Perfect (David Sacks)
- Empire and Communications (Innis)
- The Science of Language (Chomsky)
Stock footage thanks to:
- University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Donate and help us!
We're a non-profit organisation and we need your help! This website costs money and we have to buy quality research material to produce great content. Our donors make this project possible. Please consider donating; even small amounts help. Thank you!