The origin of pictographic & ideographic writing systems are imagined in the first part of this story (proto-writing). The rebus principle is introduced, setting the stage for the development of an alphabet. Featuring some key artifacts from France, Spain, Egypt & Ancient Sumer: Cave Drawings, Narmer Palette, Hunters Palette, Cuneiform Accounting Tablets.
- The Alphabetic Labyrinth (Drucker)
- Letter Perfect (David Sacks)
- Empire and Communications (Innis)
- The Science of Language (Chomsky)
Stock footage thanks to:
- University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology