This statue was uncovered during excavations in 1877 at the Temple of Hera at Olympia. The statue captures the myth where Hermes takes the baby Dionysos to the Nymphs, where on his way he rests upon a tree trunk, having thrown his cloak over it.
It is suggested that the right hand may have held some grapes, associated with the god of wine, Dionysos.
The marble is highly polished, giving a godly glow, and the glance of the god avoids the eyes of onlookers, distancing the world of the gods from that of the mortals.
The statue is of Parian Marble and stands 2.13m high, the calves and the left foot are reconstructed from plaster
Museum/Archaeological Site Links
- There are no references yet.